Saturday 9 February 2008

The House That Marky Built

Yes. It seems like I, the last great advocate of living with parents, will soon be moving out. To a flat of my very own, well, aside from the fact that I'll be sharing it with a lad I work with, it will still be my flat. He's just a lodger there. A vital lodger because there's no way I can afford the rent and the bills and still be able to feed myself.

It has sort of come out of the blue. The Guv mentioned it one day and it has just snowballed from there. One simple suggestion from her and it's become reality. I've filled in the application for today so we should be moving in by the end of the month. It's kinda scary, given that I'm nearly 27 and aside from those six months I spent living in Gateshead I've never lived on my own, but it's something I think I need to do. And it's exciting. I'll actually have a living room for living in. I will no longer be living out of my bedroom. I'll have an entire house to fill with books and DVDs.

But it's unfurnished. And how expensive are some things? I've been lucky in that pretty much everyone has been donating odds and ends (a table here, a bookcase there) and Florence still has a lot of stuff kicking around. My Gran's old dining room table, for instance, will be travelling with me, as will the old freezer and a bunch of other stuff. But I need a bed and a whole load of bookcases. Beds (along with tables and sideboards and sofas) are ludicrously expensive, for what they are.

So I got a loan from the bank to cover the bond and some furniture. God, I feel so grown up now. Peace out.

No comments:

Mission Statement

Life is a messy business. This is just me trying to make some sense of it. And waffle on about movies and stuff in between.